Vasyl Hryhorovych Krychevsky (1873-1952), the brother of artist Fedir Krychevsky, was a founder and rector of the Ukrainian State Academy of Arts during WWI. He was a painter, graphic designer, architect and set designer, after whom the Poltava Regional Museum of Local Lore was named in October 2013. In the 1920s, he taught at the Kyiv Institute of Plastic Arts, the Kyiv Architectural Institute, and the Odessa Art School. He went on to work in the architectural department of Kyiv State Art Institute until 1941. In 1943, Krychevsky moved to Lviv and became a rector of the new Higher Art Studio. He designed the state emblems and seals of the Ukrainian People’s Republic at the request of the head of state, Mykhailo Hrushevsky, as well as the republic’s bank notes. He was influenced by French impressionism but also took a keen interest in Ukrainian folk art and imagery. He moved to Paris after WWII and then immigrated to South America in 1947. He died in Caracas, Venezuela.